In 1869, Wyuka Cemetery was established by an Act of the State Legislature.This Act also declared that the Cemetery provide free burials for orphans, state wards and indigent children age 0 to 18. More than 400 orphans who grew up in Lincoln’s Home for the Friendless and Whitehall found their final resting place at Wyuka.
The first burial was in 1870 whereby Wyuka provided the plot and burial. The casket was provided by various funeral homes [as Wyuka did not offer funeral supplies & services until 2001]. During 1870 and 1920 approximately 2,850 infants and children have been buried as Littlest Angels. Of this number, 699 are known as ‘infant of’ or ‘baby girl or boy’ leaving 2,151 named with no headstone. A number on a concrete circle marks their grave.
Headstones are being purchased for these children with donations to Wyuka Historical Foundation designated to the ‘Littlest Angels Project’. As of last year, we have marked 54 graves starting with the oldest burial. And in 2019, we will place approximately 55 more at a cost of $165 per marker in Section 28. Wyuka covers the cost of installing the headstone.
FOR MORE INFORMATION:
Mary Spencer 402-474-3600
For Donations make checks payable to:
Wyuka Historical Foundation
Check memo line: Littlest Angel Fund Drive
3600 O St
Lincoln, NE 68510